Weblog and Idea Spot for Quilters

16 November 2007

Mother's Day Bonus

Three years ago now, my oldest gave me an orchid (the plant, not just a flower) for mother's day. It's a simple white phalaenopsis. Lovely.

It has thrived in my greenhouse these three years and last year it had a tiny baby. This is rare as orchids are fussy about propagation from seed. I didn't do anything fancy to it, just noticed the baby sitting there in the bottom of the pot kinda crooked because it just grew up where it landed. I've since given it its very own pot and it is doing well.

While picking cherry tomatoes in the backyard this morning I noticed that my lovely orchid was blooming again. How like an orchid are our children. Sometimes blooming, sometimes not. Frequently surprising, always resilient, and above all, breathtakingly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

talk to me! (english, spanish, italian, russian)