Weblog and Idea Spot for Quilters

08 February 2013

Harikuyo


My dull or broken needles got thrown away as soon as I'd had enough of them for many, many years.  About five years ago that changed when I learned about the Japanese celebration of Harikuyo Day.  Those who sew gather together to stick old or broken needles in a piece of wax (or covered styrofoam or whatever) and say a prayer for their valiant service.  I thought that was so sweet I had to start participating.

Now my dull and broken needles get their own section on the tomato until 8 February rolls around each year.  Then I say a few words over them before they are ceremonially wrapped in a tiny bit of paper and - ok, this is where my ability to celebrate ends - then they still get thrown away.

But it's nice to take a few minutes a year to sing the praises of these hard working tools in my studio!

1 comment:

  1. Hari-kuyo is a new one on me but it sounds way cool like most of the little festival things that go on in Japan are. I was fortunate to get to participate in a local festival there purely by chance. It was one of those where the men get all manly and throw a million pound log float up and down while cheering - great fun!

    ReplyDelete

talk to me! (english, spanish, italian, russian)