It's all cut out and piecing has started! I had a little trouble at first getting the unusual angles to line up correctly after sewing. Turns out the seam allowance wants to be a thread's width narrower than I was making them. Now that it's straightened out though piecing is moving along well. But I've gotten ahead of myself.
Beth and I decided to build one of these each when we first saw a red and white Hunter's Star on the net a couple of years back. I don't remember now what colors she chose, but I wanted something that looked very wintery, so I collected lots of low volume blue and grey prints and a few different whites to work with.
I did make a test block - the real blocks will be alternating blue and grey four patches instead of four of one color/print, but I like the way it looks.