Weblog and Idea Spot for Quilters

22 February 2012

Hehehe Colorful PUPPIES!




It all started with some black and white swap blocks that had been sitting around since, let me think, maybe 2004. I make lots of black and white quilts, and of late have been trying to work a little color into my stuff. I had this interesting border print, mostly yellow, of dogs, cats, and flowers. Chop, chop, chop! It became the sashing and border for the b/w swap blocks.



The top sat around for a while. When I was at some show - maybe it was the Arlington Guild show a few years back, I picked up a half-yard panel of a Loralie Designs print with lots of dogs on it. Didn't know what to use it for, so it sat around.

It clicked one day a few months back that the panel would sure work with the b/w top. The panel was way too small of course. Just fifteen dog portraits and a little piece of border stripe along the edge with cameos of the dogs.

I collected brights from my stash that matched the border print on the top and sashed each puppy with it. Then I picked a bunch of geometrics from my b/w stash and sashed again. Nearly there. Finally I took the wee stripe of cameos and sashed the living daylights out of it to turn it into a pillow panel on the top of the quilt back.

After adding some barks and woofs and yips in a variety of colors,




and quilting one VERY large dog nose in the big black space, I decided the back was the front after all.





2 comments:

talk to me! (english, spanish, italian, russian)