Weblog and Idea Spot for Quilters

10 February 2017

Autumn 3D Bowtie


I'm still working through my obsession with bright autumn colors.  Using the border and knot fabric as my focus, several fabrics from my stash were brought together to make these 3d bowtie blocks.  Random block placement enhanced the overall look.


The back fabric has nothing to do with the front, but is a cheerful neutral and was big enough to prevent the need for piecing.


My great-grandmother taught me how to make this block about fifty years ago.  I have no idea why the technique stayed with me, but it's cool.  You can learn this technique in a number of places online, but HERE's a link that has nice pictures.


To all of you the binding choice probably seems obvious, but first I tried the orange blender and then the green and gold leaves before figuring out that something more sedate was called for against the very colorful border.

Sure, it's dead of winter now, but dragging this quilt around in the back yard this morning to photograph it brightened up my day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

talk to me! (english, spanish, italian, russian)