Weblog and Idea Spot for Quilters
19 April 2016
I found an inexpensive jelly roll at a variety store last November. The colors were interesting but I wasn't in the mood for fancy piecing. A friend pointed out this pattern to me and it seemed appropriate for these fabrics.
WHOOSH! the top went together in no time.
I have a pretty extensive stash that goes fairly far back in time, but even still i was surprised when i found this perfect border fabric right there in the stash. A tiny bit of planning made the repeats come out very nicely.
A sunburst design with variegated polyester thread made short work of the quilting, which can be seen well from either side of the quilt.
Yellow and orange striped binding also came from the stash and was OFG's idea.
Spring time quilting at it's most fun. Thanks for stopping by!
Posted by tirane93 at 10:29
13 April 2016
Yeppers, got a new toy and now I'll be grossly unproductive in every phase of my life for the next several weeks while I play with it like crazy!
Posted by tirane93 at 14:31
21 March 2016
02 March 2016
Small pieces cut on the bias made these blocks challenging to work with, but a little starch and a little patience paid off.
Don't ask me why the dark star.
This quilt was sold before it was finished and will be winging it's way to the Windy City next week. Sometimes it's hard to let them go.
Posted by tirane93 at 11:13
25 December 2015
03 December 2015
Serious hat tip to Lori Kennedy of The Inbox Jaunt for her really cool christmas doodles from a couple years ago.
And with the addition of some grinchy flannel for the back (which you can just see peeking out the corner in the picture below...
Posted by tirane93 at 11:22
01 November 2015
05 October 2015
The sashing is more of the orange I added from stash, but there wasn't quite enough so a bit of the green got tacked on the end.
Posted by tirane93 at 12:24
23 September 2015
Posted by tirane93 at 17:06
15 July 2015
10 March 2015
Retreat! I spent the weekend at a quilting retreat with some of my best quilting buddies this past weekend. I try to bring fairly easy things to work on with all pieces pre-cut because I can never focus on quilting well enough when people are telling interesting stories or passing a plate of cookies around. Both of these were made primarily from a batch of fairly plain green fabrics I recently received.
Adding a little of the bright wonky stripe fabric gave this first quilt a little pizazz and made it fun to piece.
Its hard to tell unless you zoom in on the second quilt, but I added an eco-friendly print for borders and a bit of bright yellow to make this green quilt a "green" quilt.
Posted by tirane93 at 17:21
03 March 2015
...so I can scribble quilt it if I wanna. A good photo of this top is in this post from a few months back.
Posted by tirane93 at 14:34
27 February 2015
14 February 2015
It's all cut out and piecing has started! I had a little trouble at first getting the unusual angles to line up correctly after sewing. Turns out the seam allowance wants to be a thread's width narrower than I was making them. Now that it's straightened out though piecing is moving along well. But I've gotten ahead of myself.
Beth and I decided to build one of these each when we first saw a red and white Hunter's Star on the net a couple of years back. I don't remember now what colors she chose, but I wanted something that looked very wintery, so I collected lots of low volume blue and grey prints and a few different whites to work with.
I did make a test block - the real blocks will be alternating blue and grey four patches instead of four of one color/print, but I like the way it looks.
Posted by tirane93 at 13:13
12 February 2015
Yes! The top is finished! Still trying to decide about a border, but otherwise, it's done. There was a LOT of matchy-matchy involved in this top, but it's good exercise. I'm happy with the fabrics and the layout.
Posted by tirane93 at 13:57